All Saints, Hawton
Hawton’s All Saints Church, sits in a tiny hamlet on the outskirts of Newark. The church fabric dates from the 13th to the 15th century, with a major restoration undertaken by Charles Hodgson Fowler in the 1880s. All Saints is particularly noted for its magnificently carved Easter Sepulchre, sedilia and great east window, with the chancel described by Pevsner as: “One of the most exciting pieces of architecture in the country.” JKA have carried out significant works at the church, including creation of a sympathetic Tower screen with WC behind, a servery unit, and we are currently working on a new bell ringing gallery.
Worksop Priory, Worksop
The striking church of St. Mary and St. Cuthbert is the core of the Augustinian priory in Worksop, along with the priory ruins and the medieval gatehouse. The church contains substantial Norman fabric of the 12th c. and later, with a restoration in 1845-49, restoration of the Lady chapel in 1922, a south transept built 1929, and a north transept built 1935. The crossing tower, sanctuary and east end were a major modern intervention by Laurence King, between 1966-74. JKA have worked with the church on numerous repairs over the years, with the most recent work being custom designed doors to the magnificent S. porch, providing a view into the core of the building. The original cloister entrance lobby is currently being refurbished as an interpretation point and parish office. This work will reveal much of the medieval fabric which has been inaccessible for years. We are proud to be assisting the church to improve their mission and to make the site a place of national heritage significance.
St. Mary, Staunton in the Vale
St.Mary is the family church of the Staunton family, and sits in the grounds of their manor, established around the time of the conquest. The earliest church fabric dates from the 14th c., but the Chancel, S. and W. Nave walls and S. porch were extensively rebuilt in 1854. The tower itself is eccentric, being attached to the N. aisle at the junction with the Chancel. There is a fine collection of medieval cross slabs and effigies in the church and churchyard. JKA have carried out significant reordering, including restoration of the base of the Tower to provide storage and a new WC-reinstating an earlier opening into the main church. Redundant pew frontals and older doors were sensitively re-used to create the Tower screen and servery unit.
All Saints, Barnby in the Willows
All Saints in Barnby is mentioned in the Domesday book, although the present building dates from the 13th c. with additions of the 15th and 17th centuries. It is an unusual church for its irregular fenestration, likely from the 17th c. Of particular note internally are elaborate 15th c. poppyhead end to the pews, depicting local characters and grotesques, the Jacobean reredos, and Georgian box pews. Unfortunately, Barnby is a very isolated village so the church has suffered from extensive lead thefts over the years, resulting in replacement of lead with alternative metals. Delays in approvals resulted in water ingress, affecting medieval roof timbers which subsequently required repair and replacement. Barnby church was an early successful example of a community church whose tower was used to mount a broadband mast after JKA completed extensive design works to limit impact to the historic site.